From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:41 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Print server driver updating

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Alverson, Tom (Xetron)
<tom.alver...@ngc.com> wrote:
> I would like to update the print drivers on our Windows 2003 SP2 print
> server ...

  Why?  What problem are you trying to solve?

> I could just update the drivers on the print server for the existing
> print queues, but I don't know if the clients will automatically pick
up
> the new drivers, or if they will need to delete and re-add the queues
or
> what?

  In theory, if one updates the drivers on the print server, the next
time the client logs in or "touches" the print queue, it will
automatically pull down the updated driver.

  In practice, we've found HP's drivers tend to self-destruct when
subject to this.  I suspect it's a function of how complicated the
driver is, and how well written it is, and HP sucks at both right now.

  The "generic PCL5" driver we hacked together from the HP LJ 4 driver
that came with Windows XP seems to be fine.  The Lexmark drivers also
seem okay, but we've only got a few Lexmark printers deployed so far.

-- Ben