On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 9:31 AM, David W. McSpadden <dav...@imcu.com> wrote:
> How are you checking the DNS??
> DNStools.net??
> iptools.com???

  I don't like to depend on third-party web sites for this sort of
thing; you can never be sure what they're doing.  I prefer to run
programs on my computer, under my control, asking nameservers I'm sure
about.

  I'm using the "dig" utility.  It's part of the BIND distribution
from ISC (Internet Software Consortium).  BIND is the reference
implementation of DNS.  It's available for both *nix and Windows
computers.  dig is better than nslookup in various ways.  The command
syntax is nicer, you have more features and options, the output format
is more flexible and more useful, it gives more accurate diagnostic
messages, etc.

  That said, even the NSLOOKUP.EXE that comes with Microsoft Windows
can be used; it's just not as nice as dig.  For example:

        nslookup -type=TXT imcu.com. pdns1.ultradns.net.

  That will ask the nameserver <pdns1.ultra.net.> what text records
are available for the <imcu.com.> domain name.  That nameserver is one
of the authoritative nameservers for the domain.  You can see which
nameservers are being delegated to from the parent:

        nslookup -type=NS imcu.com. a.gtld-servers.net.

-- Ben