On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Sean Martin <seanmarti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a quality Fiber Optic cable tester?

  I don't really know much about it, but I have been told by a couple
installers that testing fiber isn't like testing copper.  There's no
cross-talk or other fancy stuff like the copper testers do.  All they
do is measure the power loss (in dB).  They do that by using a simple
meter and a light source.  The measure the source to the meter, then
they put the run in line, measure that, and take the difference.

  Of course, the installers could have been full of sh*t.  They often are.

  I do know that an OTDR (Optical Time-Domain Reflectometer) is an
expensive gadget, but all it does is tell you how long the cable is,
or where the break is, if it's broken.  That's very useful if you're
looking to find a break to put in a repair splice, but it's useless
for quality acceptance purposes.

-- Ben