We generally do not see that behavior here.  If we do, it's something
specific to that guest.  If it was a p2v system, then often someone
forgot to remove the physical system ports that came over with the
migration or a driver issue that an update clears up.

One thing that happens at times is that esx updates screw up your
resource settings on your guests.  You could end up with a system that
is allocated 2048 GB ram, but is resource limited to 1024 GB ram or
something similar with the CPU settings.  I would check on the
resource allocation tab or your cluster to see if that's the case with
either CPU or memory (The view button is easy to miss if you forget
_cough_).

I would open a vmware support call or post in their forums as well.

Steven Peck
http://www.blkmtn.org