Good morning folks,

Recently, at a new customer who just upgraded from dial-up to cable, they
havn't been able to use the cable connection - it just didn't work.
Apparently Comcast wasn't able to help them, so I got the call. Anyway, what
I found was that ipconfig/all showed that it had an appropriate IP address,
SNM, DG and DNS servers listed. IE or FireFox couldn't find any sites on the
web. From the workstation I could ping the DNS servers and any other site I
knew the address of but could not ping anything by name. Suggesting that DNS
wasn't working.

So, I installed their new firewall/router and after a call to Comcast to get
them to reset the cable modem, (the router refused to accept the connection
from the modem) the router started working. As this modem also has the voice
channel in it, when they reset the modem we lost our phone call with them.
Anyway the modem and the router were functional after that. My laptop worked
fine and could surf without problems. Their PC however was like before, even
after reboots and ipconfig/all showing the DHCP configuration from the
router that worked with my laptop.

My conclusion is that something is wrong with the IP installation. It was
here that the owner mentioned the possibility of virus infection as their
Kaspersky subscription has expired. I thought about trying to unload and
reload the IP stack, but then realized that I have never done that to an XP
box, just done it with a rebuild. And with an unknown virus condition that
is still my preferred option. They are going to move all data files to an
external hard drive, plus they found all the OEM disks so a rebuild is
likely in the near future

Bottom line: At this point, I believe there is something wrong with the IP
stack on the PC. But I am curious as to where to go to just refresh the IP
stack, never having done just that. In my XP pro sp3 desk machine here, the
option to uninstall IP from within the Network applet in Control Panel is
greyed out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, before I nuke the client machine to start
over. Although that is probably my best option considering the unknown virus
condition; especially since they could not tell my why they think it is
possible to have a virus (or whatever). It's so cluttered that it runs slow
enough to justify a refresh on that point alone.

Len Hammond
CSI:Hartland
lenhamm...@gmail.com