Do a google search for Winsock XP Fix.  Use that tool and see if it
helps at all.  I've used it in similar scenarios, typically when a virus
or malware has damaged network settings, and it seems to help.

Jay

From: Len Hammond [mailto:lenhammo...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:38 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: DNS issue

Good morning folks,

Recently, at a new customer who just upgraded from dial-up to cable,
they havn't been able to use the cable connection - it just didn't work.
Apparently Comcast wasn't able to help them, so I got the call. Anyway,
what I found was that ipconfig/all showed that it had an appropriate IP
address, SNM, DG and DNS servers listed. IE or FireFox couldn't find any
sites on the web. From the workstation I could ping the DNS servers and
any other site I knew the address of but could not ping anything by
name. Suggesting that DNS wasn't working.

So, I installed their new firewall/router and after a call to Comcast to
get them to reset the cable modem, (the router refused to accept the
connection from the modem) the router started working. As this modem
also has the voice channel in it, when they reset the modem we lost our
phone call with them. Anyway the modem and the router were functional
after that. My laptop worked fine and could surf without problems. Their
PC however was like before, even after reboots and ipconfig/all showing
the DHCP configuration from the router that worked with my laptop.

My conclusion is that something is wrong with the IP installation. It
was here that the owner mentioned the possibility of virus infection as
their Kaspersky subscription has expired. I thought about trying to
unload and reload the IP stack, but then realized that I have never done
that to an XP box, just done it with a rebuild. And with an unknown
virus condition that is still my preferred option. They are going to
move all data files to an external hard drive, plus they found all the
OEM disks so a rebuild is likely in the near future

Bottom line: At this point, I believe there is something wrong with the
IP stack on the PC. But I am curious as to where to go to just refresh
the IP stack, never having done just that. In my XP pro sp3 desk machine
here, the option to uninstall IP from within the Network applet in
Control Panel is greyed out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, before I nuke the client machine to
start over. Although that is probably my best option considering the
unknown virus condition; especially since they could not tell my why
they think it is possible to have a virus (or whatever). It's so
cluttered that it runs slow enough to justify a refresh on that point
alone.

Len Hammond
CSI:Hartland
lenhamm...@gmail.com