From: Bill Songstad bsongs...@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 08:01:27 -0700
To: ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com
Subject: VMWare tools

 I've been using ESXi 3.5 for about six months and I have run up on a need
that is not covered in the free hypervisor.  So, as any industrious sole
might, I went to the VMware website to see what products might suit my
needs. And Viola!  There I discovered that the marketing folks at VMware are
sadists probably hired from the microsoft licensing team.

So what I am polling about here is this:  What are the essential tools for
managing VMware virtual servers?

What I need is pretty simple.  I just want to make backups of my servers
that I can restore to a different host without shutting them down or at the
very least by a script that I can run on Saturday nights.  I don't
necessarily need to have vmotion especially since the products that include
it are more than my total server hardware budget.

Are there less expensive tools from other publishers that I should check
out?  The VMware stuff is a little outside my budget as far as I can divine
from their website.

Any advice is appreciated,

Bill

http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE