For the Mozilla-heads here, there is a wonderful extension which I use
in both Thunderbird and Firefox. Highlight and right-click (context menu
editable) text and it will take you to the URL (or parts thereof)
you have highlighted. Uses wildcards and will attempt to "repair" broken
links:

http://email.about.com/od/thunderbirdextensions/gr/url_link.htm

--
Peter van Houten