From: Clayton Doige [mailto:clayton.do...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:06 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: One Script to rule them all

Hi all, Windows 2003 R1 domain, 45 sites, 80 subnets, 340 MB sysvol share due
to bloated group policies and legacy scripts, bald sysadmin trying to manage
havin been with the company 6 months - talk about group policy inheritance!

in the process of cleaning up the AD in general (104 OU's containing computers
accounts, 2000 computer accounts have not reset their domain password in the
last 90 days, twice that number in AD) deep joy

I would like to go old school on things to clean up AD so that I can start to
kill policies so I am creating a new structure and am going to migrate objects
into the new structure - for users and computers the structure will be based on
site

So...

I'd like to create a script that will assign various settings based on the
subnet the user is logging on to

In the main the existing group polices simply set Important URL's in IE and set
the proxy settings (seriously)

Important URLS I am happy to stick at the root of the users OU,  however for
the proxy settings I would like to have the computer import a site.reg file at
logon based on the ip range - I don't know how to do this

Trying to avoid the 'if member' route because the group structure in this AD is
even more messed up than the OU structure

What do those of you with multiple sites do to manage the size of your sysvol
whilst making sure all of your site specific requirements are met? Is there a
nice script that says 'if ipconfig < 192.168.100.1 and > 192.168.100.100
\\dc\sysvol\site.reg<file:///\\dc\sysvol\site.reg> or similar? and then from
there if i wanted to specify drive mappings for the site etc?

Thanks for any advice!

Clayton