Can you give us more info on the setup you have?

Normally here's what I do for example. We have

Virtual center Server

Hosts

Guests

Clusters

Datacenters

Folders

So we create a new VC with a the needed features, Update manager,
license server etc... Once it's online we recreate the structure on the
old VC so it looks the same but empty and then we remove a Host from the
Old VC and added it to the New VC on the right spot, this operation
doesn't take long so there isn't any issue with clusters and balancing,
the only thing you lose is the historical perf data for the guests but I
never rely on it so It isn't important to me.

The other method would entail, loading up VC on a new server and
exporting the DB from the old one and importing it.