From: John Aldrich [mailto:jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com]
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 9:39 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: New virus trick

I was at a seminar yesterday put on by Sunbelt and during a break I had a
chance to talk to one of the presenters and told him of a recent malware
incident I'd cleaned up. He'd never heard of such a trick before so I
thought I'd bring it to y'all's attention so you can be on the lookout for
it. Basically it was the same old malware that's been going around with the
Antivirus Pro sort of stuff, but the twist was that even using Malware Bytes
we were not able to get rid of it. After I was poking around a bit, (I don't
recall why I was looking at the root of C:, but I was) I noticed a batch
file in the root of the C: drive that, when I opened it and looked at it, it
created a bunch of scheduled tasks to re-download the malware/adware. I
wised up and deleted that file, then went into the Scheduled Tasks and
deleted all the malware-created scheduled tasks. Then I was able to
successfully clean the stuff out!

What really got us was that Malware Bytes would clean it, then say it needed
to reboot to finish, and then as soon as we came back, the fake antivirus
was right back there. What I believe it was doing was re-downloading itself
from the internet each time we cleaned it. So, anyway, if you guys ever have
a problem like this, it wouldn't hurt to check the scheduled tasks!

John-AldrichTile-Tools

<<image001.jpg>>

<<image002.jpg>>