From: Evan Brastow
To: NT System Admin Issues
Sent: Thu Dec 17 17:40:18 2009
Subject: OT: VLAN question
Preface: I have no idea what I’m talking about.

With that out of the way, I have a network consultant and a phone supplier that
are a little bit at odds.

We just purchased an Allworx IP phone system. All was going well until it was
made active today and because apparent that voice quality was horrible. The IP
part is only internal… External calls go over standard analog lines. But the
problem is with internal calls as well as external.

The Allworx phones share a 100Mbps network with the computers. We’re a small
company (smaller than ever) with about 25 computers and 19 phones, BUT, a lot
of those phones and computers are out in production areas and receive VERY
little use (i.e., someone will log in/out of a job once every few hours, and
make a phone call once a day out there.) There are probably only about 8-10
active computers, and fewer active phones.

The way it’s configured is that the phone sits on the same cable as the
computer. It goes from the wall jack to the phone, and then from the phone to
the computer. The phone are on the same subnet as, and get IP addresses from
the same DHCP server as the computer network.

When phone calls are made, there’s echoing, latency, static, etc… The switch is
an HP ProCurve 2810-48G. Cabling is all CAT5 at least.

The phone supplier is telling me that the way to segment the traffic to make
sure there are no voice quality issues is to create a VLAN on the switch. But
my IT consultant is saying, “What’s to segment? Everything’s on the same cable
and on the same subnet?”

It appears now that the phone supplier is saying that he can create a VLAN, and
then they would use the Allworx phone system server as a DHCP server for the
phones, which would put them on their own subnet, thereby making all the
traffic flow better and the calls clearer. He said he’d have to link the two
VLANS together as there are computer apps that interface with the phone system.

So, my question is (because I don’t know much about this end of networking,)
does this sound like creating a separate VLAN is really going to help improve
bandwidth and increase call quality?

Thanks so much ☺

Evan

The pages accompanying this email transmission contain information from MJMC,
Inc., which
is confidential and/or privileged. The information is to be for the use of the
individual
or entity named on this cover sheet. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are
hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in
error, please
immediately notify us by telephone so that we can arrange for the retrieval of
the original
document.