It is a significant change... but a very safe one, IMO.

If you aren't doing anything specifically custom that might barf on
seeing NEW schema attributes show up, this is a non-impact operation.

-sc

From: David Lum [mailto:david....@nwea.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2010 12:00 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Adding 2008 DC's...

We have an environment with five 2003 Server DC's. I need to roll out
two new DC's and would like to make them 2008 Server. Do you guys
consider this a major or minor infrastructure change? I'm on the fence -
existing DC's are untouched save for running ADPREP on the schema
master, otherwise the  existing DC's are untouched. Lots of new features
though and to me just as importantly 2008 will be supported for years to
come.

My fellow SE's are telling me to just roll out 2003 and call it good,
but to me it seems silly since our DC's typically hang around a long
time (6+ years currently), and in 5 years security patches go away for
2003 (extended support ends 7/2015, and mainstream support ends 7/2010).

Comments?

David Lum // SYSTEMS ENGINEER
NORTHWEST EVALUATION ASSOCIATION
(Desk) 971.222.1025 // (Cell) 503.267.9764