From: richardmccl...@aspca.org [mailto:richardmccl...@aspca.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:24 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: DCPROMO demotion and DNS

Greetings!

Our network and AD structure have been in the process of being "moved",
"renamed", "merged", "whatevered" for the past few weeks.  All the workstations
and laptops are now a part of the new domain.  Next come all servers...

Question - We have AD-integrated DNS through our DCs.  What becomes of the DNS
functions if the DC is demoted to a member server?  Does it become a
"secondary" DNS server getting its information from a remaining DC?  Become a
static DNS server (manual entries, etc but functioning on the information it
had at the time of demo)?  Cease any and all DNS services (but can be made a
secondary DNS server later if desired)?  One chooses what becomes of DNS at the
time of demo?

Any good links to a site that does not require registering for a blog/forum?

Thanks!
--
Richard D. McClary
Systems Administrator, Information Technology Group