I'm pretty sure it is a combined value. Once you have the 5 server licenses,
you only need 20 more to start activating the clients. I've never seen it
documented anywhere, but that's the way it seemed to work here

From: Christopher Bodnar [mailto:christopher_bod...@glic.com]
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 11:34 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: KMS count question

I've got (2) KMS hosts on the network for activating Windows Server 2008
systems. Up until now, we haven't had any Vista or Windows 7 systems to worry
about. The desktop group is starting to test windows 7 and I will begin testing
Windows 2008 R2 soon. I have updated the KMS keys on the hosts with the new
keys that support Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7. My question is regarding the
count. It retained the count (10 in my case) so the Windows 2008 R2 systems I
bring up should be activated right away (since the count is over 5). What I
don't understand is where the 25 count for Windows 7 systems come into play.
When I do a SLMGR.VBS /dli it shows me a count value. But it doesn't break it
down between 2008 and Windows 7. So how will that increment? And is it a
cumulative count of both OSs? So right now my count is 10, does that mean I
need 15 Windows 7 systems in order to reach the 25? Or do I need 25 Windows 7
systems, since none of the computers that have added to the count so far have
been Windows 7?

Can someone clarify this for me? I have read all the Volume Activation 2.0
guides and this topic is not very clear in the documentation.

Thank you,

Chris Bodnar, MCSE
Sr. Systems Engineer
Infrastructure Service Delivery
Distributed Systems Service Delivery - Intel Services
Guardian Life Insurance Company of America
Email: christopher_bod...@glic.com<mailto:christopher_bod...@glic.com>
Phone: 610-807-6459
Fax: 610-807-6003

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or communication of this message
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message and any
attachments. Thank you.