From: Jeremy Anderson [mailto:jer...@mapiadmin.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 12:36 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: OT ? Server ROI - Reuse ?

I am not even sure what the subject of this should be.  I have a server, it's
about 3 years old, the warranty expires in 15 days.  It runs a %mission
critical App%.  This App is going to be replaced with %new mission critical
app%.  This server meets the hardware requirements for %new app% just fine. (it
does require a BIOS update)  Its been a stable and reliable server for the last
3 years.

I can purchase an extended warranty for around $500, or I can purchase a new
server for around $4500.00.

The bean counters say, buy the warranty, run %new app% on it, life is good and
we save 4 grand.  My instinct is that this is a horrible idea, and we should
just buy a new server.

If we run %new app% on %old server% we will be completely wiping and reloading
the OS.

My question for everyone here is: How do I convince the bean counters that this
is a bad idea.  Or, is it not a bad idea, and is a 3 year old server not really
that old?  How do I justify spending 4k on a server when technically we have a
perfectly good server sitting there to be reused?  Am I just getting distracted
by bright shiny things?

%NewApp% is mission critical.  If %NewApp% is down, the company is dead in the
water.  To put this in prospective however, %NewApp% will not be redundant, or
even highly available and we are not even considering those options.
Think of %newApp% like an Exchange server, for a company that relies on Email
for all their communication.
And yes, I know %newapp% should be clustered or highly available, but its not
going to happen.

Does this email make sense?  Any help, or insight on the matter would be
appreciated.

Thanks
Jeremy