1. Ask the bean counters what their depreciation schedule is on servers. If
it's 3 years like many, they may not be doing their ROI correctly.
2. Ask how much money will be lost if the server is down for 72 hours due to
a hardware failure. Does it offset the $4500? Do an ROI on a couple of even
24-hour outages and see what happens.
3. How much longer will the server need to be utilized? Another 3 years?
Will it still be viable for that time? Or will patches/firmware/drivers
become unavailable/outdated? How much harder will it be to replace the
server once the MCA is running on it? Doing it at upgrade time is usually
much easier.
4. Consider virtualizing the MCA. That way, if something chokes on the old
server, you could have it up and running again somewhere else in minutes...

5 years ago it was a no-brainer to replace a 3-year old server. It's not so
clear-cut anymore. Virtualization has really helped to extend hardware life
while minimizing SLA risks.

Charlie Kaiser
charl...@golden-eagle.org
Kingman, AZ