64-bit version of Win7?  Yeah, that's a problem.  The 32-bit version should
run 16-bit DOS apps.

Carl

From: Evan Brastow [mailto:ebras...@automatedemblem.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:31 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Running a DOS app on Win7

Hi guys,

Okay, don't laugh! But I have an issue that's funny yet sad.

Our company still relies on several key dBASE IV apps (DOS) to run certain
parts of the company. Nothing I can do about that at the moment. It's been
working out fine (well, sort of) so far and we've also used Visual dBASE
here and there.

The problem came today when I bought a small new HP desktop for a user whose
previous computer had died. Her previous computer ran XP, and her new
computer comes with, any guesses? Very good. you read the subject line.
Windows 7.

So I create a shortcut to where the EXE is located on a network drive, and
it won't run. I do a quick amount of research and find that Win7 has removed
all support for 16 bit DOS programs.

Not a happy day so far.

So I know I could probably download something like DOSBox and get it
running, but that wouldn't give me any ability to print, I don't think. And
I'm going to have to look into what I read a couple of months ago; that Win7
comes with a virtual instance of Win XP. I haven't found that yet but will
research that, too.

My question is, is there any other way to get DOS functionality out of Win7
that would include printing?

Thanks,

Evan