All,

Actually, the issue isn't really that, it's the part time admin in one
of our overseas offices. He's running DHCP on a linux box, and handing
out DNS/WINS entries pointing to the AD servers.

I've got DHCP set up on the DC in their office, but haven't turned it on yet.

He's balking because he want to control the handing out of addresses
in his environment. Yes, I've taken away a large portion of his former
set of control, but he can set up new users (including their
mailboxes, etc.) and workstations, and he is an admin on the file
server and the ERP box in their office, but little else - he doesn't
have access to the DC with WINS/DNS, nor the firewall (though he has
pulled the plug on it when "it wasn't working right", without calling
me, which really pissed me off.)

I could just turn on DHCP on the DC, and let those two machines fight
it out, with the resulting chaos that would ensue, but I don't think
that's terribly smart.

I could just use the management hammer and tell him to turn the linux
service off "because I said so" but that seems less than optimal as
well.

The servers are set up with static addresses, so that bit is not an issue.

Can anyone point me to KB articles or other documentation on running
DHCP that bolsters the case for centralizing it with AD?

OTOH, if there's no compelling reason for doing so, I'd like to hear
that as well, though I think that having network infrastructure
services served out of the same platform, and manageable by the HQ
would be a good thing.

Kurt