Any difference in RAM between the "slow" machines and the "fast" ones? Any
difference in software running on one vs another? Little things like
RealPlayer can make a difference in the apparent speed of machines.

John-AldrichTile-Tools

From: Murray Freeman [mailto:mfree...@alanet.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:19 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: SPEEDING UP WORKSTATIONS

>From time to time, staff members complain that their workstations seem to be
running slower. Many times, something as simple as defragmentation results
in improvement, but not always. And of course I try to determine if the
slowness is accessing the internet, or just accessing files on our servers.
We're working on those issues. What concerns me is that as I move around
doing updates from time to time, is the fact that while all our workstations
are virtually identical configurations, they all do not seem to move equally
fast when I do an upgrade locally. This is a small shop, so I am able to
remember that it seems that it's usually the same machines that seem to move
slower than others, and some even much faster than others when running local
updates. Does anyone know of some software that might help me to determine
what if any "issues" are slowing down certain machines? If anyone has
suggestions as to possible causes and fixes, I'd sure like to have them.

Murray

<<image001.jpg>>

<<image002.jpg>>