There are a number of broad statements in this email, and I admit I am a bit
confused.

A few questions:

>Vipre Server doesn't play well with others.

You mean the console?  What other applications doesn't it co-exist with? (Apart
from the Sunbelt Exchange Archiver, as you mentioned).

> Neither product will start
>with the server.  I have to log in manually and start them.
Does this mean you have to manually start them after you've rebooted the
server?  I'm a bit confused on this statement.

>On the client side, the email scanning performance for Outlook 2007
>was so bad I had to turn it off and purchase a gateway antivirus
>product to keep my mailboxes clean.  Any time you selected items in
>Outlook 2007 in excess of a hundred or so, like when cleaning out your
>sent items or deleted items, Outlook 2007 would hang for 10 seconds
>per hundred items selected.  Outlook 2003 was also affected, but not
>as badly.
Well, the sad truth is that AV-scanning on Outlook is a hit or miss
proposition, unfortunately.   From a development standpoint, it is a fairly
ugly what's involved in making a plug-in work.  It has gotten considerably
better with the current verion, but IMHO, with any antivirus product, you're
better off putting the heavy lifting on a server or on the gateway.

However, if you were running Ninja/VIPRE for Exchange anyway, I'm curious why
you bothered to enable the email protection on the client anyway?

>Support told me that selecting that many items would naturally cause a
>performance hit and wanted to close the case.  I suggested that that
>was significantly worse performance than Symantec, the yardstick for
>poor performance, and that I thought one full minute/per thousand
>emails selected was unacceptable.  I even copied my salesperson.  That
>was in January.  I haven't heard from anyone.  I guess when I said
>they could close the ticket if they thought hangs like that were
>acceptable, they thought it was acceptable.  I don't, but hey, now I
>have another product protecting my perimeter.  Of course, my price per
>user trippled...

What is the performance now that you've disabled email scanning?  Is it now
better than Symantec?

Also, are you still running Ninja/VIPRE Exchange?

Alex

________________________________
I  Replaced Symantec AV 10 with Vipre earlier this year.  I expected the
process to be pretty smooth.  After all, I had been running Ninja/vipre email
for years and loved it.  I was sadly disappointed both in the performance of
Vipre and the famous Sunbelt tech support.  Vipre Server doesn't play well with
others.  Especially other Sunbelt products.  I suppose I could just buy some
more server licenses for each Sunbelt product, but I went with Sunbelt because
they were good AND affordable.  But if you have to add a Windows server license
to each install, that dramatically changes the per user cost in a small shop
like mine.  As it stands now, I have Vipre enterprise running on the same box
as Sunbelt Exchange Archiver.  Neither product will start with the server.  I
[...]

Bill
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Ray <rz...@qwest.net<mailto:rz...@qwest.net>>
wrote:
I know this has been discussed many times in the past, but I'm going to ask
again. Our McAfee contract is nearing renewal and we're looking for
alternatives.  We have about 4,000 desktops in 20 remote sites.  We'd love
the flexibility of managing everything from centralized console, and perhaps
even allowing the local sites on-site staff to have access to their own
machines.  Not all our pipes are that great, so a distributed model for .dat
updates would be ideal.

We are currently evaluating Vipre. Last year we looked at and actually chose
to buy Nod32, but, well, long story, and it wasn't the vendors fault.

We're also looking at Trend and Sophos.

Any feedback on what you have now and why you chose it or are dumping it
would be great.

Thanks,

Ray