We're getting ready to test Dell RD-1000 devices, both exernal and internal.
The "normal" external is USB-connected SATA drive, but we've been told we could
get a SAS connection, also.  We're using Commvault for our backup software, but
I wouldn't suggest that if you're a small shop;  stick to the native tools, or
find a good open source program, like others have said.

>>> "Murray Freeman" <mfree...@alanet.org> 4/6/2010 1:58 PM >>>
We're a small shop and have half a dozen servers in use at present, but
will be expanding. We currently sue 3 tape drives to back up our
servers, and are using NTBackup on Windows Server 2003. We will be
moving to Windows Server 2008 maybe next year, and I'm aware that
NTBackup has been replaced. With that in mind, we're considering
conversion to disk based backup media, and we want removable disks so we
can send media off site regularly. I'd be interested in what devices and
software are currently in use or at least what recommendations you might
have.

Murray