From: Phil Brutsche [mailto:p...@optimumdata.com]
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 9:14 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Open source 'ghost' product?

On 4/30/2010 11:03 AM, Ben Scott wrote:
>> Aside from ghost (which pretty well is flawless) the next best "free"
>> thing is probably imagex properly configured for _windows_.
>
>   Is ImageX available for Windows XP?

ImageX will capture XP disk images. You don't get all the fancy
deployment image servicing features you get with with NT6.0+ though (ie
add drivers directly to image, slipstream .msu packages directly into
image).

>   That statement worries me.  What does ImageX actually do if it's not
> a "true image"?

I believe the thinking is "the only true image is a dd dump". ImageX
gets everything that Ghost and Acronis TrueImage and DriveImage XML and
<insert endless product list here> does.

--

Phil Brutsche
p...@optimumdata.com