I bet this one doesn't make national news though...

From: Tom Miller [mailto:tmil...@hnncsb.org]
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 10:29 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Computers becoming unresponsive accross entire network.

  It is/was a Vipre issue.  Force a defs update and you'll be good.
Must have been a bad def.

>>> "Luke" <tesla...@gmail.com> 5/7/2010 10:56 AM >>>
The Network Administrator and I have been working on this all morning.
Since about 7:00AM random machines on the Local Network have been
slipping into and out of a random state of unresponsiveness
("Freezing").

The symptoms are pretty serious - I have seen it take up to 5 minutes to
bring an already open window from the background to the foreground on
client machines - and there are servers that are so unresponsive that I
am not even able to log into them (enter Username and Password and
nothing happens for the next 30min.). We have had to cold boot one
server 3 times in the past hour!

This problem is not specific to any user, profile, machine, OS, network
switch, etc. - at least from what we have been able to Identify. So far
it has affected Windows 7, XP and Server 2003. However, this issue is
not affecting everyone on the network. My Colleague sitting right next
to me has been having all kinds of trouble with his PC and I have not.

We have found that cold booting the affected machines does help a little
or at least for a while, but more often than not the machine will just
return to its unresponsive state after a few minutes. On the machines
that I have that are accessible I am attempting scan with Vipre.

We are seriously starting to suspect that Vipre is doing something (in
the background that we cant see) that is actually causing all this. We
completely removed Vipre from one PC that was having trouble and it
seemed to fix the problem. The PC has been running fine since.

Any thoughts?

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including attachments, is
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
copies of the original message.