Same here.

Checked our 2003 SBS server.  Vipre said dats version 6272 and was running a
scan.  Server was as responsive as usual.

Updated dats to 6275 and still ok.

From: Tom Miller [mailto:tmil...@hnncsb.org]
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 2:15 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Computers becoming unresponsive accross entire network.

Thank you for the update.  What's interesting is my 2003 servers were not
impacted, just my 2008 servers (only the first CPU) and some XP machines.

>>> Alex Eckelberry <al...@sunbelt-software.com> 5/7/2010 1:40 PM >>>
Just to clarify for everyone, what happened was the following:

Customers running a scan with definition versions 6272, 6273 or 6274 would
often experience extremely high CPU usage when running a scan.

This became apparent when agents started running scans, in most cases at 1 AM
EDT (the default time).  If an agent didn't run a scan, nothing happened.

The issue started with definition 6272, released yesterday evening. The issue
was caused by a virus detection (Virus.VBS.Redlof.f) that caused a loop
condition when hitting a file of a certain type and size. This problem was
fixed in definitions version 6275, which was released at 10:30 am EDT this
morning.

As the KB below explains, getting out of this loop state required killing the
service, or shutting down VIPRE.

http://support.sunbeltsoftware.com/Default.aspx?answerid=2015

Yes, it sucks.  The only positive thing I can look at is that a number of
systems kicked in internally that were not there in the past and we were able
to fix the problem in a few minutes and release defs once our engineers
diagnosed the problem.

And yes, we do test each definition that go out.  The problem with this one was
that the loop condition kicks in on a file of a certain size that is not in our
test bed.  We are expanding our test-bed and seeing what else we can do to
mitigate this type of thing from happening again.

Alex

Alex Eckelberry, CEO
Sunbelt Software
33 N. Garden Avenue, Clearwater, FL 33755 p: 727-562-0101 x220
e: a...@sunbeltsoftware.com MSN: alex...@hotmail.com
w: www.sunbeltsoftware.com b: www.sunbeltblog.com