All AV vendors have problems. Just Google "(vendor) false positive" or
"(vendor) update problem".  It's just reality.  When you have to build up to 20
new versions of your product daily, things go wrong.

The problems with AV updates industry-wide started with the massive increase in
malware about 5 years ago.  Before that, FPs and update issues were a
relatively rare event.  But now all AV vendors are in a constant battle to keep
up with the fire-hose of malware, and stuff goes wrong.

The best that an AV vendor can do is to implement as many safety checks,
redundancies, internal air-bags and testing that they can given the short
amount of time to react to a new threat.  The tough part is balancing quality
against the need to protect the customer from threats.

Our head of R&D, Mark Patton, confesses to having nightmares about this stuff
and obsesses over what we can do. We have implemented kill switches in the
definition process (which we actually used this morning after we figured out
what the problem was); we've implemented airbags that won't let VIPRE delete a
Windows system file; we've implemented more rigorous code reviews and
regression tests on new detections, and so on.  We are also working on some
interesting new technology, such as self-healing functionality inside of VIPRE
that will self-heal a system in case a critical file is removed.

Personally, I think the next frontier in the AV industry, now that vendors have
mostly started figuring out how to deal with the volume of threats, is to
figure out how to "never do harm".   It's actually a lot harder than it might
sound.

Alex