IMO SEP was a disaster when it was first released.  It was supposed to fix the
problems with the previous product (Symantec Corporate Edition, which I can
remember having to completely renstall on every server we had as it wouldn't
update anymore and that was Symantec's "fix" for the issue).

We were an early adopter of Windows 2008 Server and SEP caused us massive pain.
 It broke shares left right and centre and would bring servers to a halt.  It
took about 3 releases from when the problem was identified before it was fixed.
 Of course each of those releases was claimed to fix the problem.  This was
just one of its issues.  There were many.

I swore black and blue when with my previous employer that I wouldn't touch
Symantec AV again.  Then I inherited it in my current job and I've been singing
the same thing.  Not to mention we also battle with some of their other
products.  Backup Exec (update a backup exec server and watch it stop the sql
service on the sql server its database is on... too bad for the other databases
on there) and Enterprise Vault provide their share of pain as well.

Having said that, SEP has worked pretty well since MR5.  Nothing major has
broken for a while and it seems to stop all threats except for those Fake AV
malwares (which many of the big players seem to struggle with).

The management console is quite easy to use, there is a good amount of control
over how defs are deployed.  The group updater function is great(now that it
finally works properly).

To be honest it has been very solid for a while now but we will probably look
at Microsoft's offering next time.