From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:38 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: mid-tower cases

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:52 PM, John Aldrich
<jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com> wrote:
> Yeah... part of the problem in my current case is there is nowhere to put
an
> intake fan, so all I have is the passive intake at the front.

  If you have a good spread of exhaust fans, the lack of intake fans
won't matter.  What's important is not the number of fans, but their
placement.  You want to maximize air change, and you want to make sure
all the nooks and crannies get air change.  Simply throwing fans at
the problem won't help.  Like someone else pointed out -- that case
made entirely of fans would actually have horrible cooling, because
they all point inwards.

  The theoretical ideal cooling design is probabbly a straight tube
with a single giant intake fan at one end, no exhaust fan, a slight
back-pressure, and a dust filter over the intake.  That way the case
runs at positive pressure and collects no dust.  Oh, and no components
to obstruct airflow.  ;-)

> Typically, I set the thermostat for about 78 when we're leaving
> for the day and drop it down to about 72-73 when I get home.

  Temperature in a given room, or in front of the computer case, can
vary quite a bit from thermostat nominal.  You may want to get a
thermometer with min/max feature and put it right in front of the PC
to see what it says.  I picked one up for like $3 at Wal-Mart once.
I've used it to profile various facilities on the cheap.  I've found
up to 15 degrees difference between spots in some places.

> I did notice that when I have VNC Server running and am accessing the
local
> console the CPU temp climbs, but if I shut down the VNC server it drops

  VNC can use a lot of CPU time, so that makes sense.  The processor
will reduce its power usage when its idle, so it produces less heat.

  If you're worried about CPU temperature in particular, try removing
the heatsink, cleaning off the contact surface, applying a new coat of
heatsink grease, and re-seating it.  Sometimes the heatsink just isn't
making good contact with the processor's heat spreader.

  If that doesn't work, investing in a better heatsink+fan is likely a
good idea, as others have suggested.  You don't need one of the
expensive, overly-elaborate "bling" designs, just something that will
make good contact and dissipate the heat well.

-- Ben