Check out Viewfinity when you get a chance.

http://www.viewfinity.com/

Does what you need and want, plus a whole lot more.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew W. Ross [mailto:mr...@ephrataschools.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:54 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Remote Desktop Management for School Environment

Hey list,

I have been charged with looking for a good remote desktop support solution
for our District. While I'm about to start my googlefu for solutions, I
figure it wouldn't hurt for a little wisdom from the crowd about various
solutions.

Currently, we use DameWare Mini Remote Control. DameWare is an excellent
tool, but doesn't do everything we want it to do.

Here's what we _need_:

 * Remote Control (Without asking permission)
 * Remote Viewing (Hopefully without the user knowing we're viewing)
 * View Thumbnails of a group of computers (what's missing in DameWare)

Here's what we _want_:

 * Remote install of software/running of scripts.
 * Who's logged in?
 * A sortable/searchable list of computers.
 * Remote system inventory (CPU, memory, HD, software optional)
 * Support for Windows, Mac (and maybe Linux.)
 * ...And features we're not even thinking of, but we probably want.

(Basically, we want the functionality of Apple Remote Desktop on our Windows
desktops. As I don't see Apple making an ARD client for Windows anytime
soon, we need to see what else is out there.)

Price is a factor in our decision making, but we're willing to look at any
solution which provides what we need. Any recommendations you guys can give,
or solutions we should probably avoid, are appreciated.

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District