From: Peter van Houten [mailto:peter...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:48 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: laptop encryption

I am a TrueCrypt fan with one caveat; we never use full-disk encryption
for our clients but rather create an encrypted file container which, when
mounted as a separate drive, becomes the repository for all data,
including but not limited to Outlook PSTs or Thunderbird profile and
mail files, Firefox profile & cache, mobile phone sync data and all
documents.

Still working on moving Skype and other IM data on to the encrypted
drive and using an on-screen keyboard program to enter the encrypted
drive's password to try to defeat key loggers.

Besides the vulnerability of full-disk encryption to monitors such as
Evil Maid, I have seen fully-encrypted disks presented to Windows, to
which the response is "Format Drive XX?". Too risky if laptop is abroad
and needs to be attended to by an ignorant technician.

--
Peter van Houten