Try this, change strProcName and strProcPath in lines 6 & 7
Also change the message in line 17 to suit.

Some applications, such as UltraVNC run 2 processes, so for something like
that, change the 0 in line 16

This has only been tested on WinXP SP3, so YMMV on later OSs.
Quick and nasty, but gets round the issue of the users being able to
delete the lock file.

I use PrimalScript for all my scripting and the handiest thing I use it
for is to compile scripts in exe's so that the code can't be changed to
increase the number, but I'm sure google would throw up some alternatives.

--8<------------------------------------------------------------
Option Explicit

Dim objWMIService, colProcesses, objShell
Dim strProcName, strProcPath

strProcName = "notepad.exe"
strProcPath = "c:\windows\system32\"

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
    & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")

Set colProcesses = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("SELECT * FROM Win32_Process WHERE Name = " & _
        "'" & strProcName & "'")

If colProcesses.Count > 0 Then
    MsgBox "UltraVNC is already running." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Only 1
instance is permitted at a time.", vbOK, "Process already running."
Else
        Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    objShell.Run strProcPath & strProcName
    Set objShell = nothing
End If

Regards