Just a thought.

If you're just learning about Group Policy and GPOs, I highly recommend
using a lab environment to test and figure out what it's all about.  You can
easily set up a domain in your virtualization environment of choice, and
it's well worth it to mitigate the potential risk to your production
environment.  At the absolute very least set up a test OU and don't link
your GPOs anywhere else until they're fully tested.

Many Group Policy settings are relatively benign, but just one doozy applied
at the domain level can wreak all kinds of havoc.