From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 1:52 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Now: monitoring; (was RE: Veering even more OT ...)

> I'm of the "test as you operate" ...

  I generally agree.  However, I expect your operations do not consist
of pinging the host.  The users are actually connecting to HTTP or SMB
or SMTP or whatever.  Ping is a synthetic test, and very different
from the real thing.  I've had boxes which were responding to ping be
otherwise crashed to the point of needing a hardware reset.  So I
would be less inclined to worry about that aspect for a ping test
(provided you are testing name resolution as well).

  Certainly, pinging by IP address without also monitoring name
resolution means you will miss name resolution problems.

-- Ben