I installed the iecollection on a XP SP3 VM and it works well enough.  Upon
installation, it gives you the option to check off several versions of ie.
Basically you can choose anything back to IE1.   I'm concerned that none of
the individual programs are recognized by the OS as IE so I cannot check for
patch levels easily.

I only installed 6, 7, and 8.  There were two versions of 6 and one of them
used 100% of the CPU essentially hanging the system.  I just re-ran the
installation package and unchecked the grumpy one.

You can have them all running simultaneously.  Or at least the 3 I
installed.

-Bill