From: jesse-r...@wi.rr.com [mailto:jesse-r...@wi.rr.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:27 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: 2008 server crash!

I have a Windows 2008 x32 server (HP Proliant ML310 G5p) that just crashed.
When booting, its giving me a C000000218 error (the registry cannot load the
hive, etc.).  The server is also a domain controller.

Few things to note:
1. I have other DCs in this domain so I'm not so concerned about that.
2. Logical disks setup was a RAID 1 array (containing OS), and a RAID 0 array
(1 single disk - used as the Windows 2008 backup device) 3. I should have a
valid data backup on the single logical disk (raid 0)

I was condidering reinstalling the OS using HP Smart Start CD, but I am leary
in that I believe using Smart Start to reinstall the OS will WIPE the RAID 1
array and data on it, I do NOT want to do this. I'm having difficult getting
clarification from HP whether I can use Smart Start WITHOUT touching the
partitioning/data (english is a problem).

What would you recommend?

My first thought is to try and install Windows 2008 manually from a CD to a new
directory (c:\windows2).  Once the OS is built, I should have an idea whether
the data on the disk is corrupt, and if necessary, restore from the backup disk
(located on the single physical disk in a raid0 array).

My second thought is to boot from a Windows 2008 CD into the recovery console
and try a disk repair, etc.?  It's been years since I done this so I'm kind of
fuzzy on the process, but I vaguely recall this is something that can be done?

Ideas welcome.