Indeed it was already in development, but from what I've read Intel did
indeed incorporate some of the intellectual property in to Itanium from
Alpha program[7] (which in turn incorporated much of the cancelled
Prism[2] project within DEC[1])

-sc

[1] Geek lore would have it that the "AXP" designator on the "Alpha AXP"
chips stood for "Almost eXactly Prism"[3]
[2] Another Cutler project[4]
[3] The similarities were numerous: Palcode/Epicode, RISC instruction
set, the layout tuning, some register implementation, etc...
[4] No wonder NT[5] screamed on it
[5] Although at the time, it was to be the CPU for Mica[6]
[6] Which, as we've discussed here, was really NT v0.5 anyway
[7] Altho substantial details of exactly WHAT are hard to come by

<scaes...@caesare.com>