That's correct, I remember now. We still had XP desktops so I had to fire up
a 2008 server and use the tools on there. I think you have to load the Group
Policy CLient Side Extensions onto your older clients (XP desktops, 2003
servers) and it works fine from there.

On 29 July 2010 18:39, Phil Brutsche <p...@optimumdata.com> wrote:

> You don't need to raise the FFL or DFL. You also don't need a 2008 or
> 2008 R2 DC - a member server will be fine.
>
> Heck, a Vista or Win7 desktop with the appropriate RSAT will do just fine.
>
> On 7/29/2010 12:35 PM, James Rankin wrote:
> > Spin up a 2008 or 2008 R2 DC, and I think this might let you have the
> > extra GPOs without raising your FFL or DFL. I'm not sure on this though,
> > off the top of my head - others may be able to confirm or deny. I am
> > pretty sure I was using the new Group Policy Preferences before I
> > upgraded my domain.
>
> --
>
> Phil Brutsche
> p...@optimumdata.com

"On two occasions...I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr Babbage, if you put into
the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able
rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such
a question."