I don't think there are many Aussies on this list.  You may like to go through
the huge number of comments on
www.whirlpool.net.au<http://www.whirlpool.net.au> if you haven't already.

My 2c worth:-

*         We run internal web filtering.  If it blocks something it shouldn't
we can fix it.  If the filtering is at the ISP or higher level how will issues
like this be resolved?  What will the timeframe be?

*         If it effects performance it isn't welcome.

*         The days of anonymity on the internet are numbered for everyone if
you ask me.  Including outside of Aus.  Many technical types think they will be
able to use encryption or anonymous proxies etc but I believe all of those will
be eventually be futile.  We can get away with it for now as ISP's generally
leave things alone.  But as soon as the ISP's have to meet government
regulations that enforce inspection of all traffic (ssl etc included, which is
possible) then we can forget the freedom we have.  We don't own the pipes so we
won't have control.

*         The proposed filter is like most other government control mechanisms.
 You MUST have this because it is good for you.  See, look, it will stop kiddie
porn etc etc.  When the real reasons are:-

o   Large corporations have had enough of losing money to pirating.

o   Governments don't like not knowing what people are up to and this internet
thing has been running around unleashed for too long.

James.