Local Network is the Public facing network taking the traffic from the users,
and the Back network ( is setup for backups and other system administration to
happen on).

I have done this type of stuff in the past for those that want to have certain
traffic go over 1 NIC ( or set of NIC's) and access for general users over
another NIC.

Usually don't register the Private ( Back Network NIC's IP) in DNS or WINS
accordingly. We would put static entries in DNS accordingly in a special zone
which the backup software was to look at for resolution accordingly. That and
tight ACL's that only the backup server IP could even talk to that port, and
the appropriate firewall rules set on the server to allow the backup software
and only that to run.

Edward E. Ziots
CISSP, Network +, Security +
Network Engineer