Hmm. I like that example. I may have to use that sometime to explain
"needful duplication of effort." J

John-AldrichTile-Tools

From: James Rankin [mailto:kz2...@googlemail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 9:58 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: 200 + Windows applications trivial to exploit bugs

It's the old adage where a guy leaves his expensive Rolex in his trouser
pocket, and his wife picks the trousers up, doesn't check the pockets, and
ruins his Rolex in the washing machine. They both blame each other for the
damage and subsequent loss. How can you mitigate against it happening again?
Well, the only way is to make sure that he checks his pockets before putting
the trousers in the washing pile, and she checks the pockets before putting
the garment in the washing machine. It might be a wasteful duplication of
effort, but it's the only way to be sure the fiscal loss doesn't happen
again. It's a good way of getting execs to see that email filters, desktop
antivirus, software restriction policies and the like are all necessary, and
are not all just doing the same thing.