I'm pretty sure we have what you refer to as split DNS.  We have AD
Integrated DNS but it isn't accessible outside the subnet/firewall.  A
few hosts are registered with the campus DNS and are discoverable by the
outside world but the rest are not.  Could I manually add a DNS entry
that points to the DNS of the other department?  Let's say my domain is
A and the other department's domain is B.  Could I add b.ucdavis.edu
with an IP address of their domain controller to my DNS and
a.ucdavis.edu to their DNS?

Perhaps another approach would be to include the DNS server of the other
department's DNS as a secondary DNS server?  It seems like that might be
kind of slow waiting for failover to occur?

Yes, there is a router between the two subnets.  I threw in that detail
thinking that browsing across subnets might be more complicated.

Curt