From: richardmccl...@aspca.org [mailto:richardmccl...@aspca.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:17 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: What IP has this MAC?

Greetings!

I am experiencing a bit of a network problem with, at the moment, is
more of an annoyance (but could easily get bigger!).  Somewhere I have a
NIC spewing out gratuitious ARP packets.  (I did eventually hunt it
down, but for the future...)

Using Wireshark, I have the MAC address of the offending NIC.  Again,
for the future, is there a ping command switch or something else which
will enable me to enter the MAC address and have the IP returned?

Wireshark does indicate the offender is a Dell system.  However, being
mostly a Dell shop, pinging each node here and then examining my ARP
cache is rather slow...

Thanks!
--
Richard D. McClary
Systems Administrator, Information Technology Group

richardmccl...@aspca.org

P: 217-337-9761
C: 217-417-1182
F: 217-337-9761
www.aspca.org <http://www.aspca.org/>

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is
from The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals(r)
(ASPCA(r)) and is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein
and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If
you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or use of the
contents of this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify me by reply email and permanently delete the original
and any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof.