On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Carl Houseman <c.house...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And those are likely just the beginning. I'd expect the number to get to
> 100's of apps.

  I expect it to be in the thousands, if not tens or hundreds of
thousands.  Keep in mind that most executables probably won't be
tested for this, so we'll never see a vulnerability notice for them.

  Waiting for a list of programs which are or are not vulnerable is
not a good way to approach this problem.  The assumption should be
that any given executable is vulnerable.  Don't even bother trying to
identify executables which call SetDllDirectory; there's still the
question of whether it is called correctly or consistently.

  The default behavior of the system is broken.  We cannot expect any
programmers to actually implement the obscure feature which changes
the default behavior.  Expecting vendors to do so is not realistic.  A
huge number of Microsoft's own executables do not implement the
setting and attempt to load optional DLLs.  If Microsoft can't get
their own code to do it, expecting others to do so is unrealistic.
Assume everything is vulnerable.

  My suggestion would be: Deploy the update in MSKB 2264107.
Configure CWDIllegalInDllSearch to remove the current directory from
the search path by default system-wide.  Identify any programs which
stop working and make executable-specific exceptions to
CWDIllegalInDllSearch for them.  Contact vendors of those applications
for updates (good luck with that!).

  Ideally, use Software Restriction Policies/AppLocker to limit

-- Ben