Outlook relies on it?  What version?  My 2007 hasn't noticed a difference
since applying the workaround patch and registry value=2.

Carl

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:18 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Insecure Library Loading Vulnerability

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Andrew S. Baker <asbz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Changing that decision more recently (via OS upgrade or patch)
> would have a debilitating impact on compatibility ...

  My beef is not that Microsoft valued compatibility, but that they
didn't take this vulnerability seriously until it was attacked.  As
has been demonstrated, it is possible to change the default behavior
to be more secure while still allowing exceptions on case-by-case
basis.  That's all I would ask for.  But Microsoft ignored the problem
until it became an emergency.  I do hold them accountable for that.

  I do wonder just how many programs will break if the default
behavior is changed.  Of course, apparently Outlook relies on the "DLL
in CWD" behavior, so that's pretty significant.

-- Ben