Precisely, with OD /WGM there¹s no central mgmt console whereby an admin can
tell which/what policy is applied to what group. Administration easily
becoems a nightmare without 3rd party mgmt software such as Centrify.

Whereas the latest GPMC boasts some thousands of settings that can be
administered centrally, Apple¹s WGM doesn¹t even provide an admin the
ability to manage smething as simple (and built-in!) as Safari (e.g. Adding
a default favorites/bookmarks folder), manage multiple home tabs...etc.

On 9/7/10 8:33 PM, "Andrew S. Baker" <asbz...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Apple's Open Directory?
>
> What is the Apple equivalent of Group Policy?
>

> ASB (My XeeSM Profile) <http://XeeSM.com/AndrewBaker>
> Exploiting Technology for Business Advantage...
>

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Matthew W. Ross <mr...@ephrataschools.org>
> wrote:
>> That does make it difficult. Then again, so would any dual-booting Linux user
>> on a PC. If you don't want them to do it, don't allow them too. (We make them
>> choose one or the other.)
>>
>> Users with their own personal VMs in VMWare Player or VirtualBox also make
>> management frustrating.
>>
>> How does Microsoft's Active Directory manage users/computers better than
>> Apple's Open Directory?
>>
>> Our district requires a count of computers at least once a year. We do
>> physical counts, not some network scan to see what's out there. That,
>> happily, resolves any "Dual personality" problem. (Not to mention the
>> teachers squirm a little when I ask there the Projector that was assigned to
>> them is.)
>>
>> Oh, and I do admit that we're not a large school. 1000 computers across 6
>> locations isn't all that much compared to some. But it's a lot for 3 people,
>> and I'm the only Mac/Linux/Network guy.
>>
>> <own horn>Toot!</own horn>
>>

>> --Matt Ross
>> Ephrata School District