----- Original Message -----
From: James Hill
[mailto:james.h...@superamart.com.au]
To: NT System Admin Issues
[mailto:ntsysad...@lyris.sunbelt-software.com]
Sent: Tue, 07 Sep 2010
19:38:07 -0700
Subject: RE: Mac and Windows mix

> I find it hard to see the benefit of using Mac's in a corporate environment
> these days.  Once upon a time they were the system to have in certain
> environments (video editing etc).  but that really isn't the case anymore.
> When I do see them in corporate environments they are almost always using
> RDP or Virtual Box etc to connect to a Windows environment.  Why add that
> complexity?

If the goal is to reduce complexity, then defiantly stay with one platform. My
argument has never been that adding Macs to your PC environment will make it
less complex.

But what I guess is really bothering me here is the "But you can't do that with
a Mac" mentality. Apple has made every effort to make their platform work for
you. If it can't be done on a Mac, it's because what you want to do hasn't been
made available for the Mac. Apple cannot implement .net, even if they wanted to
use Mono. So your .net applications are never going to be useful on a Mac. Have
a web application that requires IE because it requires ActiveX? Again, this
isn't Apple's problem. Using Microsoft Word or Excel with a VBScript? Sorry, no
dice on a Mac. These are a few of the vendor locking tactics which makes life
(yours and mine) a living hell to support on a Mac.

I know that it's impractical to have a business which has fully developed tools
and applications in a platform specific environment to move to something more
cross-platform. And I'm not asking for the world to change. Just don't blame
the Mac for being a Mac.

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District