Oh, it's in the registry.  :)  In HKEY_CURRENT_USER under the Run key,
naturally, so it starts up automagically upon login.

Actually, I believe that if the user who infected the machine has admin rights,
it may go under the Run key of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE instead, so it impacts ANYONE
who logs in. But in our case, all users have limited rights, so the program
can't write to that key. Instead, it's limited to the current user.

We've found that when the "tool" is running, it breaks things like regedit and
Task Manager in an effort to keep you from killing it and cleaning the machine.
What we do is to log in with a different account (one with admin rights, of
course), run regedit, load the hive of the infected user, then go into their
Run key to look for weirdness. We look at the key that calls the malware so
that we know what folder and files to delete, then delete those, then delete
the key from the registry.

That's all it takes-the next time the user logs in, everything is clean. It's
not horribly painful, but it gets old doing it again and again.

John Hornbuckle
MIS Department
Taylor County School District
www.taylor.k12.fl.us<http://www.taylor.k12.fl.us>