I wasn't saying "random" based on "gut feeling". It was more an inkling that
something was amiss with that particular function due to experience. Maybe I
should have been more clear about what I meant by "didn't like the look of
it". When a system is down and you're the only one assigned to fix it,
sometimes time is of the essence. In situations where you have time on your
side, a more structured approach is ideal. Also, if you have an agreed SLA,
you can be more considered in your approach. Unfortunately that isn't always
present though.

However I wasn't saying I would just stop services for the hell of it on a
live system that users were still able to access. That would just be plain
irresponsible.

On 23 September 2010 11:29, Ken Schaefer <k...@adopenstatic.com> wrote:

> Agreed. Making random changes to servers based on “gut feelings” what are
> bad, isn’t my idea of a desirable troubleshooting strategy.
>

> Gather facts
>
> Isolate Issue
>
> Identify Root Cause
>
> Implement Fix
>

> Cheers
>
> Ken

"On two occasions...I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr Babbage, if you put into
the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able
rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such
a question."