Not sure if it differs in the US but I'm a bit unsure why you're talking about
"hiring" consultants?

Why not just invite in a bunch of VAR's, go through your needs and ask them to
quote on a solution?

And to echo others thoughts, manufacturers will obviously have an agenda,
resellers will have an agenda (to sell you something just from a bit wider
pool), and even the best meaning consultant will have a certain bias based off
what they're familiar with (not to say it won't be a good solution, but you
take the point).

I wouldn't expect you to have to be paying anyone a bean to get some detailed
options.