I have an original Dell Mini 9.  It ran Win 7 just fine, but visiting web
sites with Flash killed the poor CPU.  I put the Ubuntu netbook edition on
it a few months ago and it is really quite fast now.

The real Achilles' heel is the keyboard.  If you're a touch typist, you're
going to be frustrated.  But hey, for trips and whanot it's great.  My
laptop is a 12.1" D430 and that size seems to be the sweet spot for a 'real'
computer that I can use effectively.